Skip to main content

Not a Wasted Moment

A new year.

I'm not really into resolutions. Never really have been into them. Mainly because I usually am awful at them. Changing my life for Lent is hard enough, but a whole year?! Come on! I keep thinking about where I was at this time last year.  Well, not literally.  I was in the Holy Land so it is kinda hard to top that.  At this time last year, I had a huge prayer.

And it wasn't answered in 2014, or 2013, or 2012...

Frankly, I've had this prayer for as long as I can remember.

What I wanted did not happen. So it begs the question, "Was this past year a waste?"

No. Not at all.

Some of my highlights this past year included:

  • Traveling the Holy Land
  • Completed another semester of seminary
  • Became a certified candidate for ministry
  • Progressed to the next level of ordination
  • Went on a mission trip with the best middle school students around
  • Visited family and friends
  • Gained more responsibility and opportunities at work
  • Wrote a TON of papers
  • Drank A LOT of coffee 
  • Met weekly with a dear friend that challenged me in all areas of my life
  • Laughed a lot 


But I also cried a lot.
I got angry a lot.
I was confused.
Heartbroken.

Was this year worth all the heartache? Yes, this year was worth it, but it was a hard one, nonetheless.  So as I look at this past year, and as this new year is staring me in the face, I pray I don't drag my bitterness, my envy, my jealousy, or my anger into this new year. I can't let go of the heartache. It will always be there until this prayer is answered.  I just don't want all that other stuff like bitterness to rule 2015. I often let it get the best of me in 2014 and I don't want to live another year like that. I don't want to be so close to losing all hope and all faith because I really do believe God is good and that God has a plan.  In 2015, I want to have more trust, more hope, and more faith than ever before and I can tell you, it is going to be tough. It will be challenging, but I want it. I know I need it.

I don't know what 2015 holds for me. I know what I want. I know what I pray for every single day. But I know it doesn't mean I'll even have it answered in 2015. I pray that even if 2015 doesn't turn out the way I want it to, it will not be wasted time. All I have to do is think for a moment about 2014 and realize that no moment was wasted.

Here's to 2015.  Here is to trust, to hope, and to faith.




Comments

  1. Hello Scott and Reagan. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am glad to know that you are Associate Youth Director. I am also glad to stop by your blog post. very interesting to go through your post letting your blog readers know that 2014 was not a waste. Very positive way of looking the past and trusting and hoping and having faith to greet 2015. Well I am from Mumbai, India the other part of the world but it is amazing to get connected to God's people around the globe. I am in the PASTORAL MINISTRY for last 35yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. It will be also great to see that young people from your church come and work with us during their vacation time. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot0jcom and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you both.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you, Rachel.

Many people have shared tributes today in honor of the one-year-anniversary of Rachel Held Evans’ death, so I feel almost a little foolish to add to the pile, but sometimes I think about her kids that will Google her someday and find post after post giving tribute to their incredible mom that they will sadly have no memory of, and I think, it’s worth it. Since being stuck at home for 549 days, I’ve been re-reading some of her work for comfort, for challenge, for inspiration, and so I can pluck out some amazing quotes so my congregation knows I read. I was reading Faith Unraveled (previously called Evolving in Monkey Town) and I openly wept at the end when she gave her acknowledgements to people. What made me so sad was when she thanked her husband, Dan, and made reference to how she was so excited to see what was ahead for them. I wept and was angry that the life they dreamed of together was cut so tragically short. I still don’t understand and it still just isn’t fair. I keep

On Uniting Methodists: A "Fixed and Free" Romans 14 Church

This past week, the local church I serve, Lovers Lane UMC, hosted a gathering of area clergy and lay leaders interested in learning more about a movement called "Uniting Methodists." Leading the presentation and ensuing discussion were Rev. Rachel Baughman of Oak Lawn UMC in Dallas, and Rev. Dr. Stan Copeland of Lovers Lane. I respect both of these leaders immensely; Rachel was actually my children's pastor when I was in the 6th grade at W.C. Martin UMC in Bedford, TX, and Stan has been my boss and mentor for the better part of the last decade. That respect was shared by the room as far as I could tell, and it was their presence together on stage that likely sparked more than a little curiosity amongst those who came.  Rev. Rachel Baughman, left, of Oak Lawn UMC, and Rev. Dr. Stan Copeland, right, of Lovers Lane UMC Photo credit: Rev. Michael Baughman The sight of them sitting together on stage perhaps sums up Uniting Methodists in one image. On the left (lit

Ode to a Catheter

One year ago today, Scott and I woke up on a Sunday, but it wasn't our usual Sunday. Sundays usually are a whirlwind of a day. We wake up early, scramble to get ready in order to get to church for our 7:45 a.m. meeting with the rest of the staff. This Sunday was different though. I hadn't slept well in anticipation for what would happen this Sunday morning. I tried my best to be well rested, but my mind was going. They say to relax because stress isn't good, but by golly, a lot was weighing on this day. We woke up--a little awkward silence as we got ready. We tried our best to act relaxed and cool---while inwardly, stressing out beyond belief, scared, nervous, and feeling like we could cry at any moment. We pulled up to the fertility clinic for our third IUI procedure while praying over and over again, "please let this work, please let this work..." I clung to Psalm 17:6  "I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God. Bend down and liste